Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Two Boxing Day picks

Two weeks ago I was informed that I would be taking assorted Tipster relatives to the pantomime on Boxing Day. 'Oh no, I'm not!' I cried. 'Oh yes, you are!' came the retort. Apparently it's Aladdin this year; I'm going to miss the King George and a top Kempton card into the bargain. Having said that, the King George doesn't really offer any decent betting opportunities - I expect Kauto Star to win but he'll be odds on and with only seven runners in the field, the each way market doesn't make much appeal. My Way De Solzen should get closer this time around. Similarly, Harchibald is the form horse in the Christmas Hurdle but he'll be long odds on. In the opener Song of Songs, having been withdrawn at Ascot on Friday on account of the ground, looks the one but once gain his price will be short. Some value could be gained in the Feltham which is due off at 1.20. The front two in the market are Silverburn and Joe Lively. Silverburn hasn't raced over this distance previously while Joe Lively would have been beaten by Here's Johnny at Newbury but for that horse being brought to a standstill by the fall of Nevada Royale. Provided he has recovered from that episode, HJ should offer some sporting value.

Richard Johnson has chosen to ride at Wincanton; overall, Liberate has much better form than his rivals in the 2.45 but hasn't been at his best of late - he rates a play against likely favourite Russian Trigger.

By the way, Mrs Tips asked me to point out to readers that her tip for Strictly Come Dancing, Alesha Dixon, won. I always said she was better at this game than me.

Finally let me take this opportunity to wish readers of this blog a Happy Christmas.

1 comment:

GeeDee said...

Generally unfancied in the market Here's Johnny (6/1) put up a decent fight in the Feltham but was beaten into second two and a half lengths by Joe Lively (5/2).
Liberate was a non-runner at Wincanton.