Sunday, March 02, 2008

Some press cuttings...

The well-named Gee Dee took the opener at Market Rasen this afternoon; needless to say, I didn't have a penny on.

Sir Peter O'Sullevan, 'The Voice of Racing', celebrates his 90th birthday tomorrow. Earlier today I browsed through my copy of his 'Calling The Horses' (published in 1989) and admired some of the photos. Like many I suspect, the two horses I always associate with this master of understatement are Be Friendly and Attivo.

Those perturbed by Mr Pointment's disappointing effort in The Grimthorpe yesterday will be relieved to learn that wasn't the horse's true running - he broke a blood vessel during the race. Skybet are out on a limb by offering Mr P. at 25/1 for the Aintree marathon.

Cheltenham is just over a week away and bookmakers are queuing up to tempt you with their free bet offers. Before diving in, it may be worth noting The Times' report that TV advertising has helped Ladbrokes to a 46% increase in profits. The majority of bookies now go non-runner no bet on Festival races but it's always worth confirming the fact. This year, as yet, I haven't seen Raceform Update's Guide to the Cheltenham Festival on our newstands. As soon as it appears I shall purchase a copy - if you only buy one Festival preview publication, this has to be the one.

Finally, off-topic I know but I couldn't resist, I'm going to suggest that the Conservative peer who recently branded nurses 'grubby, drunken and promiscuous' has probably been watching too many epsiodes of Casualty on a Saturday night...

No comments: