Sunday, April 06, 2008

Notes from the National

The new 'improved' start worked a treat, with the field on their way at the first time of asking. Makes you wonder what all the fuss was about...

One firm went 8/1 no fallers at the first fence; those brave enough to take the odds will have been on good terms with themselves. Jockeys' reactions after the race were noted on The Sporting Life website where Wilson Renwick's quote caught my eye, "The way he [Backbeat] jumped the first I didn't think he'd get very far." The horse fell at the second.

Unusually in the Tips' household, Mrs Tips was on jolly good terms with herself. Independently she tipped Comply Or Die, King John's Castle, Slim Pickings and Bewleys Berry to various members of the extended family. With baited breath we await her straight forecast selection for the Scottish National which takes place at Ayr a week on Saturday, April 19th.

I placed some of my National wagers at the local William Hill outlet early in the morning; they appeared to be experiencing intermittent problems with the communications equipment. The middle-aged lady behind the screen informed me that nobody really cared any more - when it was raining and you had to use the staff toilet, the rain came through the ceiling and fell on your head. Priceless.

My guess is that Comply Or Die is the first blinkered horse to win the National in a long time. If I get the chance, I'll trawl through some old form books...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What do you mean 'unusually'?

TLD