Sunday, April 13, 2008

Sporting snippets...

Racing takes place at Cheltenham on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday evening this coming week, while Ayr race on Friday and Saturday, with the Scottish Grand National the highlight.

I'm not an avid follower of the The Times' 'Ask Lucia' feature, where readers are encouraged to write in to Lucia van der Post with their fashion queries. Anyway, Mrs Tips brought my attention to last Friday's column which carried the headline 'I want to look gorgeous at the gee-gees'. A female reader with £500 to spend was seeking advice on what to wear; just one week after the Aintree meeting, Lucia was pulling no punches. "Well, we certainly got a lesson last week in how not to do it. The pictures from Aintree were awful. Quite apart from the vulgarity of so much flesh on display (the cleavage, the thighs), I wondered how many of the women ended up with pneumonia." Yikes. Ms van der Post advocates the Carla Bruni approach - 'the combination of beauty and demure clothes' - but isn't convinced you can pull it off with a meagre £500 in your purse. Different world, isn't it?

It was a case of footballing highs and lows in the Tips' household this weekend. My home town team, Wrexham, suffered another defeat that brought relegation from the Football League a step closer but Mrs Tips' home town team, Queen of the South, beat Aberdeen 4-3 to reach the Scottish Cup Final for the first time in their history - well done Queens!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just to be a little bit 'pernickety', Queen of the South are the team of my birth town, not of my home town. I do not claim to be a supporter of theirs but I wish them all the best. Can they bring about the big upset of beating Rangers? Now that would be something.

TLD

Anonymous said...

That's assuming Rangers beat St Johnstone first! I have it on good authority that this is a done deal!

TLD